Friday, January 13, 2012

Wood of Suicides

Suicide Tree: ...All too much. Sandra knew everything. And the papers. So I had to. Pills. Plastic bag.
Had to get out. Needed a break. Hurting. Hurting.
...I thought the hurting would stop.
Morpheus: The Wood of Suicides has changed since my last visit to hell. I remember it as a tiny grove.
Now it resembles a forest.
- Sandman #4
by Neil Gaiman and Sam Kieth

Yup, another Daily Quote about hell. Now, now, settle down. Settle down. This isn't a cry for help. I'm not that distraught. It was just in a piece of graphic literature close at hand and I thought it was about time to use it.

Let's be honest, though, at some point everybody faces times in their lives where they at least entertain the option of that final escape. But it's not really an escape at all. This fictional portrayal of hell has actually affected me quite a bit. If I'm ever in such horrible pain that I want to escape, remembering this scene can be quite the deterrent. As bad as life may get, it is far better than going through eternity as a living, tortured tree.

Like I said, this isn't meant to be a dark and troubling post. Instead, it's my way of saying I'll eventually be all right. I hope you'll pray for me, yes, but you have no reason to fear for me.

And if any of you reading this ever do feel the need to escape and reflecting on an issue of Sandman just isn't helping, you can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment