Thursday, September 13, 2012

Job 7

A Contract With God
Therefore I will not restrain my mouth;
I will speak in the anguish of my spirit;
I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.

Am I the Sea, or the Dragon,
that you set a guard over me?
The Unwritten #32.5
When I say, 'My bed will comfort me,
my couch will ease my complaint,'
then you scare me with dreams
and terrify me with visions,

Sandman #4
 so that I would choose strangling
and death rather than this body.
I loathe my life; I would not live forever.
Let me alone, for my days are a breath.

Preacher #29
 What are human beings,
that you make so much of them,
that you set your mind on them,
visit them every morning,
test them every moment?

The Unwritten #35
 Will you not look away from me for a while,
let me alone until I swallow my spittle?

Preacher #49
If I sin, what do I do to you,
you watcher of humanity?
Why have you made me your target?
Why have I become a burden to you?

Irredeemable #17
Why do you not pardon my transgression
and take away my iniquity?
For now I shall lie in the earth;
you will seek me, but I shall not be.
Job 7:11-23 [NRSV]

Locke & Key: Clockworks #1


"Job is commended in the end because he dared to address the creator-God; his interlocutors are castigated for purporting to speak knowingly about that One."
- David B. Burrell
Deconstructing Theodicy: Why Job Has Nothing to Say to the Puzzle of Suffering



Preacher #4







No comments:

Post a Comment